Living vs non-living things
(seres vivos e inertes)
Everybody can say whether something is alive or not, but how do we know when things are alive?
Can you explain explain the differences between a living thing (organism) and a non-living thing?
Here you have some online games to prove you can tell whether something is a living thing or not.
Let´s set some basic concepts so we can carry on without getting confused:
- Living thing: it is anything that is or has ever been alive.
- Non-living: it is anything that is not now nor has ever been alive.
- Non-living is different from dead.
Characteristics of living things (organisms)
1.- Living things are BORN
2.- Living things GROW
3.- Living things REPRODUCE (have babies)
4.- Living things NOURISH (eat)
5.- Living things RESPOND TO STIMULI
6.- Living things DIE
- Make a list of living and non-living things.
- Explain if any of the non-living things have any of the characteristics of the living things.
Option 1.- Make a living thing using non-living materials.
Option 2.- Makea non-living thing using living materials.