Climates on Earth
Did you know that there are different types of climates on Earth? Do you think this affects the environment? Investigate it!
First visit the following links where you can see the different climates on Earth:
What are climate zones?
Did you find it curious? As you can see, there is a great variety, and each one has its own characteristics.
Your job will be to investigate these characteristics, but not of all climates. Choose one of the following climates to work on:
- Tropical climate (tropical wet and dry + tropical wet).
- Mediterranean climate.
- Atlantic climate (marine West Coast).
- Continental weather (humid continental).
- Polar climate (subartic + tundra + ice cap).
- Desert climate (arid + semi-arid).
The information you should investigate for the chosen climate is the following:
- What are the characteristics of the weather.
- What are the characteristics of the landscape in this type of weather.
- What are the characteristic crops of this climate.
- Examples of countries that have this climate.
Fotografía. Los climas del mundo: clima desértico y clima polar.
You can obtain the information from the previous links, you can also use the following search engines if you want to investigate further:
With all the information you have seen, you are prepared to create a small mind map about the chosen climate.
Include on this map the most important concepts that you have seen in the previous points.
Did you know...?
The landscape has undergone a strong transformation as a result of changes in land uses. The soil is a scarce natural resource, easily depreciable and hardly renewable. You have to be careful! Its deterioration implies a loss of quality of life, and sudden changes in the landscape and on a large scale can lead to changes in the climate, not only of the area, but of the entire planet.
Visit the following links to learn more about the topic and see some examples:
What do you think? Shocking, right? Now brainstorm about the effects that the landscape can cause in the climate.
After the little debate, join two of your classmates to work the rest of the task. Are you ready? You will investigate the effects of climate on the landscape, and vice versa, and present it in an online presentation with Prezzi.
The topics you will work on will be:
- Desertification Global warming.
- The greenhouse effect.
Look for information in the following links:
Develop your work and include representative images for each of the themes of your presentation. You can locate these images in the following image banks:
- Banco de imágenes y sonidos de Intef.
- Buscador de imágenes Creative Commons.
- Banco de imágenes Pics4 Learning.
Remember that on the first slide should appear the name of the group and a title according to its content.